Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Makes 12 servings
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped or ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise using a small sharp knife. Using tip of knife, scrape seeds into bowl of a standing mixer. Add butter and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy. On low speed, mix in flour, ground hazelnuts and salt just until the mixture forms a dough.
2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets about an inch apart.
3. Bake 15 minutes. Watch carefully—you don’t want the cookies to brown.
4. Place remaining confectioners sugar in a small bowl. Roll warm cookies in sugar. Cool completely. Roll in sugar again.
5. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.
1. Pulse hazelnuts in a food processor until coarsely ground. Don’t overdo it, otherwise you’ll end up with nut butter!
2. Shape into crescents rather than balls for traditional nut crescent cookies.
Per serving: 340 calories, 22g fat, 10g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 15g sugar, 4g protein