Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (14 oz) can cannellini beans
- 4 cups Nature’s Promise kale
- 4 cups Nature’s Promise chicken broth
- 1 cup shell pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Cut the bacon into small pieces. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and fry the bacon 5 minutes on low heat. Stir frequently.
2. While bacon fries, peel the carrots, halve lengthwise and cut into thin slices. Cut the onion in half and slice thinly and finely chop the garlic. Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the bacon and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Stir frequently.
3. While carrots and onion cook, rinse and drain the beans and roughly chop the kale. Add the broth and 2 cups boiling water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the drained beans, chopped kale, pasta and peas. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
1. You can prepare the soup one day in advance. Store covered in the refrigerator.
2. For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Per serving: 788 calories, 23g fat, 6g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 117g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 9g sugar, 31g protein