Green Onion Pancakes with Hoisin Dipping Sauce
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 green onions
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp peanut oil
1. Heat a frying pan without oil or butter and toast the sesame seeds 3 minutes until golden brown. Mix the hoisin sauce with the sesame oil. Slice the green onions.
2. Whisk the flour, cornstarch, egg, sesame seeds, 2/3 of the green onion and the salt with 2 cups water to form a smooth batter.
3. In a frying pan, heat half the peanut oil and spoon batter into 3-inch circles. Cook 1-4 at a time depending on the size of your pan. Fry the pancakes on medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter adding more oil as needed.
4. Garnish with the remaining green onions and serve with the hoisin dipping sauce.
1. If you like things spicy, mix in 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes in the batter.
2. Whip up tiny versions and serve with your favorite toppings as an impressive appetizer.
Per serving: 542 calories, 29g fat, 5g saturated fat, 54mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 5g sugar, 11g protein