Lime Meringue Tart
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Ready in 1 hour, 50 minutes
Makes 12 servings
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 limes
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a food processor, grind the graham crackers until you get coarse crumbs. Add the butter and 2 tbsp of the sugar and process until sandy in texture. Press the crumb mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Chill.
2. Zest 4 limes and juice all 6 limes to get 1/2 cup lime juice. Separate the eggs. Whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk, lime zest and juice. Place the chilled tart pan on a baking sheet and pour the egg yolk and condensed milk mixture over the prepared crust. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling is set. Remove tart and raise oven temperature to 425°F.
3. While pie bakes, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 6 tbsp sugar and cornstarch and continue beating until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
4. Spread or pipe the meringue over the warm pie, completely covering the filling but not the crust, and return to the oven. Bake 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
5. Allow tart to cool at least 1 hour. Remove sides of tart pan and serve.
Use a premade Graham cracker crust and replace the lime juice with ½ cup bottled key lime juice.
Per serving: 246 calories, 11g fat, 6g saturated fat, 98mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 28g sugar, 6g protein