Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 50 minutes
Ready in 1 hour
Makes 6 servings
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- flour, for dusting
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3 pz pkg), thawed
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425oF. Halve the onion and slice thinly. Mince garlic. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a 9-inc cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté onion, half the garlic and brown sugar for 15 minutes.
2. While onions are caramelizing, place remaining 1 tbsp oil, 1 clove garlic, parsley, basil and balsamic glaze in a food processor and pulse until you get a smooth paste. Toss with the tomatoes. Remove caramelized onions from cast iron skillet and set aside. Spread tomatoes and herb mixture evenly across skillet. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. Lightly dust your work surface and a rolling pin with flour. Unfold thawed pastry and roll out slightly. Using a plate or cake pan as a guide, cut out a 10-inch circle. Remove the skillet from the oven. Top tomatoes with caramelized onions and shredded Parmesan. Cover with the pastry and gently tuck in edges. Bake until pastry is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
4. Carefully invert tart onto a serving platter. Serve hot, warm, or cold.
No cast-iron skillet? No problem. You can use a normal quiche or pie dish. Make sure to place it on a baking sheet to catch any juices that bubble over.
Per serving: 408 calories, 26g fat, 7g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 14g sugar, 9g protein