Spanish-style Meatballs with Grilled Bread
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) pkg frozen meatballs
- 4 thick slices crusty Italian bread
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley
1. Cut the eggplant into ¼-inch cubes. Slice the bell pepper into thin rings. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the garlic, paprika, eggplant, and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the tomatoes (including the juice from the can) and the meatballs, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the vegetables are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
2. Toast the bread. Brush both sides with the remaining 1 tbsp oil. Chop the parsley and sprinkle it over the meatballs. Serve with the grilled bread.
You can make this recipe up to two days in advance. Keep covered in the refrigerator and warm over low heat. Fresh, toasted bakery bread makes a great complement to the sauce. Toast the bread just before serving and garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 583 calories, 43g fat, 13g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 970mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 10g sugars, 20g protein