Italian Stuffed Artichokes
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lemon
- 4 fresh artichokes
- 5 slices white bread
- 1 (0.75 oz) pkg fresh thyme
- 1 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Zest and juice the lemon. Add the juice to the boiling water and set the zest aside. Cut the stems off the artichoke and cut 1 inch off the top to create a flat edge. Place artichokes in the boiling water and cook until tender, 25 min.
2. Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread. Remove the woody stems from thyme and finely chop the leaves. Add the lemon zest, bread, cheese, thyme, garlic, butter, and oil to a food processor and season with salt (in moderation) and pepper. Pulse the mixture to combine until breadcrumbs form.
3. Turn the broiler on. Carefully remove the artichokes from the water and drain. Place on a baking sheet and top with breadcrumb mixture. Broil on high until golden brown.
For added zing, add 1 tbsp drained capers.
Per serving: 342 calories, 21g fat, 6g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 4g sugar, 8g protein