Individual Potato & Cauliflower Gratins
Prep time 25 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Ready in 40 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 oz hazelnuts
- 2 large red potatoes (about 10 oz)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (about 10 oz)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/3 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the hazelnuts in a baking dish and toast in the oven about 8 minutes or until golden brown. When cool, chop coarsely.
2. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1⁄2 inch cubes. Roughly chop the cauliflower florets. Add the potatoes and cauliflower to the boiling water and cook 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Whisk the flour for about 3 minutes on low heat. While stirring, add the milk and stir until you get a thick sauce. Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until it melts. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt (in moderation) and pepper. Divide the potato and cauliflower among 4 1-cup ramekins and top with the cheese sauce.
4. Bake approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over gratins and bake for another 5 minutes.
You can make the gratins 2 days in advance. Bake the dishes for 10 min., sprinkle with the hazelnuts and cool. Store covered in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, bake the gratin at 350°F for 10 min.
566 calories, 37g fat, 17g saturated fat, 89mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 8g sugar, 27g protein