Spooky Cut-Out Cookies
Prep time 40 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Ready in 1 hour
Makes 24 servings
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups flour and extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk in the eggs. Add the cinnamon, flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Dust your work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough until it is about 1⁄4 inch thick. Cut out ghost, bat and other Halloween shapes with cookie cutters. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes and then remove to racks to cool completely.
3. To make frosting, combine 1 1⁄2 tbsp water with 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar, creating a thick glaze. Brush 1 teaspoon of glaze on each cookie creating a thick layer. Allow about 20 minutes to harden. Stir 1 teaspoon water into the remaining confectioners sugar and cocoa powder to create a thick chocolate glaze. Using a piping bag, a skewer or a thin brush, use the chocolate glaze to add facial features, cobwebs and other decorations.
You can make the cookies 3 days in advance. Store in an airtight container.
198 calories, 7g fat, 4g saturated fat, 36mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 18g sugar, 3g protein